A DIY all-natural makeup remover you can make at home in just minutes, and it only costs pennies.
The Scary Truth About Store-Bought Makeup Removers
Even brands such as Farmacy which is marketed as “green” contain Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, PEG-20 Glyceryl Triisostearate, PEG-10 Isostearate, and Polyethylene.
What are these things? Well, they are engineered chemicals that have only been in use for less than fifty years; they certainly have not been time-tested like the ingredients in this simple old-fashioned recipe.
DIY ALL-NATURAL MAKEUP REMOVER
- 1/2 teaspoon Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Distilled witch hazel
- 1/4 teaspoon Olive oil
- Cotton round or soft cloth
- In a glass jar add the water and distilled witch hazel, mix
- Saturate cotton round or cloth with the water solution
- Add 4-5 drops of olive oil to the cotton round or cloth
- Gently wipe your face, eyes, and lips in a circular motion
Premix a 1:1 solution of witch hazel and water to be used in future
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What is distilled witch hazel?
Is witch hazel safe?
Yes, witch hazel is an astringent that has been used both externally and internally for thousands of years. Today, most herbalists stick to external uses such as toning, reducing swelling, relieving sore muscles, and healing scrapes and bruises.
Why use olive oil in a DIY all-natural makeup remover?
Infused Oil Additions
For this recipe, you may choose to infuse your olive oil with a variety of herbs. To infuse your olive oil; place 2 parts olive oil to 1 part herb into a jar and infuse for 2-3 weeks in a cool dark place. Then, strain the oil to remove plant material.
Infusions for this DIY all-natural makeup remover, I suggest:
- Borage (borago officinalis) (pictured top) infused oil to add even more soothing and cooling benefits. Borage is known for its uplifting qualities and was traditionally used to cure depressed states.
- Evening primrose (oenothera binnis) (pictured bottom) infused oil adds additional moisture for scaly and dry skin.